Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Invited to talk

Last Thursday I was at Sinhgad College of Science, Pune, to participate in their annual Industry Academia Forum (IAF). Prasanta too accompanied me. They had invited us to speak about Java.

About two hundred odd under graduate students of computer science had gathered in an auditorium to listen us. I spoke about genesis and uniqueness of Java and what makes it so popular. I had also compiled some interesting real world applications to demonstrate that Java can be used everywhere, right from e-Commerce, home networking, gadgets to space exploration. I could feel, most present there knew that java is limited to ubiquitous internet applications and shopping carts only. They were wide eyed after hearing how java powers Philips iPronoto and BMW in-dash infotainment or how Mars exploration was simulated using Java 3D imaging. Prasanta went deep and spoke about complex issues in enterprise applications like dealing with heterogeneous database, bridging isolated and disparate applications and how J2EE addresses such challenges.

This was my second such presentation. Earlier I had been to Wadia College. It is a always a great experience talking in front of such an audience and more so speaking about Java :-).

Hope, I could educate them about power and applications of Java and cleared some of their doubts...

No comments: